Photo by Tour Bus Live
Peace & Love! That’s what you are encouraged to shout today at noon per tradition on the legendary Ringo Starr’s birthday. Today, the iconic drummer of The Beatles turns 82-years-old and doesn’t plan on slowing down anytime soon as he continues to perform and spread his hopeful messages.
To celebrate the birthday of Sir Richard Starkey, here are a few fun facts you may not have known about the beloved musician.
- When he was young, Ringo suffered from many health issues and even spent months in the hospital when he was just six-years-old. Apparently, this is why he chooses to be a vegetarian.
- Although left-handed, Ringo plays a right-handed drumkit.
- Richard Starkey’s surname came from the fact that he always wore numerous rings and from his career with Rory Storm and The Hurricanes prior to The Beatles. When performing with The Hurricanes, Ringo was always given his own slot that was referred to as “Starr Time.”
- Although he’ll still do them, Ringo hates drum solos.
- Ringo has never eaten pizza, curry, or onions.
- He is a bit of a germaphobe and refuses to shake hands. Expect an elbow bump instead.
- Ringo hates shaving, motorcycles, early morning travelling, and setting up in a rush.
- Ringo’s song Back Off Boogaloo from his solo career was a tribute to his friend Marc Bolan of the band T. Rex.
- In the 1970s, Ringo grew an interest in design and eventually formed his own design company with his friend Robin Cruikshank called Ringo or Robin Ltd.
- Ringo was the oldest Beatle, but the last one to join the band.
Let’s wish Ringo Starr a happy birthday! Celebrate by watching the birthday boy perform The Beatles’ Yellow Submarine: