Photo by Getty Images
Today in 1942, the world would be changed forever. It was the day that one of the greatest guitarists in history was born in Seattle, Washington. Jimi Hendrix would only have 27 years on this planet, but they be some of the most important years in rock and roll history.
To celebrate the late, great Jimi Hendrix’s birthday, here are some fun facts about the legend:
1. Jimi used to sketch car designs when he was a teenager and even mailed them to Ford Motor Company
2. Chas Chandler, Jimi’s manager, encouraged him to change the spelling of his name from Jimmy to Jimi to be more “exotic” when he moved to London in 1966.
3. Jimi was intended to to appear in The Beatles film Magical Mystery Tour, but it didn’t work out due to scheduling conflicts.
4. Jimi’s first guitar was a one-stringed ukulele he found int he trash.
5. Jimi was called “The Bat” by his bandmates because he darkened his windows and slept all day.
6. Muddy Waters was Jimi’s first guitar inspiration.
7. Jimi was left-handed and played his guitar upside-down.
8. Before Jimi Hendrix became a household name, the guitarist performed in backing bands as Jimmy James for legends including Wilson Pickett, Ike and Tina Turner, Sam Cooke, Little Richard, and The Isley Brothers.
9. Jimi was once kidnapped after a show at the Greenwich Village club The Salvation.
10. Jimi Hendrix opened for a Monkees tour in 1967.